DISTRICT CANDIDATE INFORMATION
MAY 21, 2013, SPECIAL DISTRICT ELECTION
|First day to file for office:
||February 9, 2013
|Last day to file for office:
||March 21, 2013
|Last day to withdraw:
||March 21, 2013
|Last day to register to vote:
||April 30, 2013
|Ballots mailed out:
||May 3 - May 7, 2013
||May 21, 2013
Special District Available Positions and Terms
Special District Board Qualification Requirements
Descriptions of Special Districts
May 21, 2013 - Special District Election
Qualifications to hold office:
You must fill ALL required forms with your county elections official (located at 820 Exchange Street, 2nd floor) and follow the qualification requirements for the office desired. You may file either by paying the required fee or by petition to obtain signatures.
The following information is not a substitute for reading the 2012 Candidates Manual , or the 2012 Campaign Finance Manual.
If you have any questions, contact the Elections office at 503-325-8511.
FILING BY REQUIRED FEE
1. File SEL 190 (District Candidate Filing Form) and pay filing fee of $10.
FILING BY PETITION
- File SEL 190 (District Candidate Filing Form), SEL 121 (Candidate Signature Sheet - Nonpartisan) and SEL 301 (Statement One or More Petition Circulators Will Be Paid/Statement No Petition Circulators Will Be Paid).
NOTE: You must file forms with the County Clerk's office for approval BEFORE circulating your signature petitions.
- After approval of the above forms, you can begin circulating your signature petitions. The number of signatures required is 25 or 10% of the total number of active registered voters in the electoral district, whichever is less (ORS 255.235)
Submit at least 100% of required signatures from the districts for which you are a candidate, to qualify. It is also suggested that you obtain 10 to 15 additional signatures than required to compensate for those signatures that may not be valid. See Special District Board Qualification Requirements to determine required amount of signatures needed.
- Signatures must be certified by the County Clerk’s Office before the filing officer can officially accept the candidate filing.
- Submit another District Candidate Filing Form (SEL 190) and completed Candidate Signature Sheets (SEL 121) with sufficient number of valid signatures verified by the county elections official to fully complete your filing.
DEADLINE TO FILE A COMPLETED FILING OF CANDIDACY
The earliest day to file for candidacy in the May 2013 Special District Election is not sooner than February 9, 2013, and not later than March 21, 2013.
CAMPAIGN FINANCE FILING
ORS Chapter 260, "Campaign Finance Regulation; Election Offenses," requires disclosure of contributions and expenditures related to any candidate, measure, or political party active in any election. It also requires the electronic filing of campaign finance transaction using ORESTAR.
Each candidate must establish a campaign account and file SEL 220 (Statement of Organization) designating a candidate committee. A candidate does not need to establish a campaign account and file SEL 220 (Statement of Organization) if the candidate meets all three of the following conditions;
1. The candidate serves as his/her own treasure;
2. The candidate does not have an existing candidate committee;
3. The candidate does not expect to receive or spend more than $750
during a calendar year.
If at any time during the calendar year the candidate exceeds $750 in contributions or expenditures, the candidate must establish a campaign account, and file SEL 220 (Statement of Organization for Candidate Committee) and SEL 223 (Campaign Account Information) within three business days of exceeding the $750 threshold.
All Contributions received and expenditures made during the
calendar year must be filed electronically not later than
seven days after the $750 threshold has been exceeded.
Any candidate who accepts and/or spends more than $750 but less than $3000, may file the PC7 (Certificate of Limited Contributions & Expenditures) paper form or electronically with the Secretary of State using ORESTAR. The Certificate must be filed not later than seven calendar days after receiving the first contribution or making the first expenditure in the calendar year.
If transactions have already been entered or filed electronically in a calendar year, a Certificate (PC7) cannot be filed for that year. NOTE: A Certificate (PC7) must be filed prior to entering any transaction into ORESTAR.
If at any time during the calendar year either the total contributions or total expenditures exceed $3000, the candidate must file ALL transactions electronically using ORESTAR within seven calendar days after exceeding the $3000 threshold.
For more information or questions on Campaign Finance, visit the Secretary of State's website at www.oregonvotes.org or contact the Secretary of State's Office Election Division at 503-986-1518.
VOTERS’ PAMPHLET INFORMATION
Clatsop County does not publish a voters’ pamphlet for this election.